Monday, April 10, 2006

Swatched and Ready?


I am very excited to get going on my SCJ. Yarn being used is Cascade 220 - The Heathers. Color # 9450 which I refer to as a light, dirty teal. Love! I have a few projects to finish up beore I dive in, but couldn't resist swatching. Doing my best not to muck this up. However...

I was reading the posts about the sizing, and now I'm getting worried. I washed and blocked my swatch, and though it could easily block to 4" = 18.5 stitches, it seems to be set at 4" = 19 sts and 29 rows using size us8. I guess I knit a little tight. I really don't want to go up to size 9, though I guess it can't hurt to swatch ...

My bust is 31" (with a bra, embarrassing, but true), and I measured a sweater of mine that I think is most similar to the SCJ and that is 34". I am still debating on knitting the 33.5" size or the 35" size. I was originally thinking making the 33.5 and adding a little extra room in the back as suggested by Kate, but my arms aren't exactly skinny and sweaters tend to be a little snug, so maybe make the 35" size. I guess I'll have to decide that when I do swatch #2.

Anyhoo, the point is, I am weighing my options with gauge (stay true! stay true!) and really want to cast on. Thus the rambling.

Back to swatching...

4 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

Beautiful yarn! I was considering using my Cascade 220 Tweed in Olive...but I am using the Karabella Tweed. I love your color! Keep trying, it will work out! Anyway, it is gorgeous!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Familia HP said...

Well, if you knit at your current gauge, you could knit the 35" and get something a bit smaller that might fit right. Yes? Maybe?

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Melissa North said...

I agree with Nicole, if you knit the 35" it might work out perfect for you. If you are really worried about it though get the calculator out and see what the difference will be.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger al said...

also, as i figured out too late, it's not just your gauge but the strength of your fabric that makes the jacket. if you go up a needle size to get gauge, but end up with a floppier fabric because of the looser knit, the jacket won't sit on you right, and that would be a bummer. I'd agree with knitting the bigger size in the smaller gauge. You can always fiddle with the width of the back, too, per Kate's instructions here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home