Friday, March 03, 2006

knitting up hem

long post, sorry :)

so there was a request for instructions on how to knit up the hem as you work so here goes.

i always start with a crocheted cast on if i know i'll have to knit up a hem. there are good instructions here. but fear not, if your cast on is loose you can still knit up the hem. after knitting the required # of rows for the hem facing and the turning row whether you use purl, none, picot or other, just do it :). then knit the same number of rows you knit for the facing. hopefully you'll have RS row for the next row.

crochet cast on method:
then "unzip" one sticth at a time or unzip them all onto a spare (smaller) needle. and knit ont outside stitch with one hem stitch (make sure nothing gets twisted) all the way across. one stitch from back and front pairs up. its really very easy. then just work your purl row as directed and continue working the panel.

regular cast on method:
this will not be as tidy but it can still be done. and this is how you will have to do the inside edge of the coat and collar if you don't want to stitch it up by hand. cast on with your regular method (loosely this is important) knit hem facing rows, desired turning row, and the same number of outside rows as hem rows (do not count turning row). with a spare (smaller) needle try to pick up one stitch at the cast on edge for every stitch on the working needle so that the hem will be even. warning, it's hard to do this so that the hem does not get shifted so be careful. then as above, knit together one picked up stitch with one regular knit stitch. being careful not to twist. work across all stitches and continue knitting the sweater panel. this is the same way you can do the collar edge wen you get there. work turning row, and hew facing rows as directed then just knit the collar stitch together with one of the back side purls and no seaming is required!

i love this method aside fron the sleeve and side seaming there will be no seaming...you can even hide a cast on tail in here! woo hoo! i'm a total slacker for finishing i hate it so this is the best method! if you get confused please ask your question. but once you figure this out i'm sure it will be your best friend!

6 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Wow, you're so careful. I just stick the needle into both the normal stitch and one of the bottom loops of the cast-on (I don't worry about looseness when casting on) and knit through! I used long-tail. :)

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger MissyJoon said...

Thanks for all the details--I frogged back and did what you said, and it looks beautiful--I am soooooo happy, especially because I was so worried about how I was going to finish off all these seams--I am terrible at that!!!!!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger MissyJoon said...

Thanks for all the details--I frogged back and did what you said, and it looks beautiful--I am soooooo happy, especially because I was so worried about how I was going to finish off all these seams--I am terrible at that!!!!!

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I frogged too. I was going to try lining it, but I was afraid of my inexperience with these things. Now I've knit up my hem and all is right with the world. Thank you for the info!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger hootsister said...

Thank you, thank you! I am so glad I frogged and started over, it looks so great!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger MissyJoon said...

Okay, I need lesson #2---How do you do the same thing with the hem of the collar on the back??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home