Wednesday, March 01, 2006

clarifications

I didn't mean to worry everyone. I was just trying to help! My friend is VERY short. She is 4'11 or something like that. Maybe even an inch shorter. That's why the jacket is so long on her. I'm 5'6". It was shorter on me. My friend would have wanted the 33.5" or 35" sweater. She was wearing the 37"

Someone said they didn't understand what I meant about adding sts in the back. Lookie:



On top is the schematic (which is in the pdf you downloaded), below is me showing what I meant about adding sts to add width to the back. You will notice that it makes the neck wider (which may or may not be a problem depending if you added 15 sts or 5sts). The only way to remedy that would be by doubling up some decs going up to the neck, but don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% sure that it would work perfectly.

Here's what I suggest: If your row gauge is correct, use the schematic and measure the length of jacket you want and choose your size according to that. If your row gauge is incorrect, I still suggest making a front first and modifying your back to fit the front. Pretty much any size front will fit anyone, it's just going to be a matter of how much they overlap (and the width of the sleeves). Do you see what I mean?

Also, a comment about choosing a substitution: Go for something that will make a firmer fabric. The fabric needs to have enough body that the front holds its shape well and doesn't flop with the weight of the facing. Mintyfresh mentioned she could see the incs. In the original yarn, you could see the incs a little bit, but because of the feltiness (yes, I made that word up) of the yarn, you didn't see them a lot. The Karabella yarn does not have good stitch definition.

And because I can't keep my mouth shut - a comment about the FO that Jackie linked to: It's very easy to modify the length of sleeves. Work the increases as directed and when the sleeves are the length you want, move on to the next section! -This is assuming you made all of the incs before the sleeves are long enough for you. If they are still to long, rip back and work fewer rows between the incs. Easy peasy.

I hope I've helped this time, instead of causing worry and confusion. I'll cork it now. :)

6 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Thank you so much, Kate!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Koko said...

Thank you, Kate! I'm relieved at reading your note.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger MissyJoon said...

You are so knid to provide us with so much support! Thank you, thank you!!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Yes, thanks for this; it helps!

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what great guidance!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Linda @ Yarnzilla said...

Hi, Kate! It's Linda from Yarnzilla -- I owe you an email, but I'm too embarrassed to reply to you until I do the seaming on my Sunrise Circle, that actual knitting for which I finished weeks ago. Several of my customers bought yarn today for the Sunrise Circle KAL, and dang if they didn't talk me into doing another one -- this time out of Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Aran (my first is out of a variegated Malabrigo). The KAL will give me a kick in the pants to get my first Sunrise Circle seamed, and then I'll send you some jpgs. Thanks so much for all your interesting clarifications and tips -- as I said when I emailed you originally, Sunrise Circle is the best-written and most thorough pattern I've worked from in 35 years of knitting -- you rock!!!! -- Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home