Saturday, February 25, 2006

A note about sizing from the sizer

Hi all. Jackie emailed me saying that you would be having a knitalong and I thought I would just pop in to make a couple comments. I hope you don't feel like I'm crashing the party!

After the photo was shot for the Sunrise Circle Jacket, I spoke to Pam Allen on the phone and she told me how the shoot went. That day, there was only one model around and she was tall and thin, so having no choice, they had to shoot the jacket on the tall, thin model. Therefore, the jacket, on us more normal people, will be a bit tighter and longer. That was the original intention of the design - to be close-fitting. Here's a photo of my friend wearing it before it got sent off:



She is petite and would have needed the next size down for a better fit. I couldn't try it on myself because I was 9 months pregnant at the time.

If your row gauge is not matching up exactly, I would definitely knit a front first and then adjust the rows in the back to fit. Fortunately, the fit of this jacket is pretty forgiving as you can put the buttons where you like. If you prefer it to fit a bit more loosely, you could also add stitches in the middle of the back to give more ease - of course, in doing so, the fronts will overlap less.

I hope you all enjoy this project. I'm honored that you have chosen it. I hope you don't mind if I come back from time to time to see how things are going, but please don't feel like you can't complain if you want to! I'm happy to learn something with each project I design and knit and am open to comments.

Happy knitting,
Kate
www.kategilbert.com

3 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Koko said...

Hello Kate,
What a nice surprise to meet you here!
And I want to thank Jackie!

I'm really relieved to have your suggestion how we could manage the size.
Actually, I'm short but full-breasted, so I don't need any extra on the length of my jacket but need more space around body.

I now decided that I start the second front and then I'll study more about how many stitches I need to feel comfortable to put on. I'll surely redo my back to add some stitches.

Thank you so much for helping us.

Koko

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger MissyJoon said...

Kate--thank you so much for your insights, and also for taking the time to be interested in our knitting adventure! I think your designs are so lovely, and I have met so many nice people as a result of your pattern!

I am looking forward to you keeping an eye on us!!! xoxo

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Sherry W said...

Thanks Kate! You've made me feel better on my size selection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home