Friday, April 07, 2006

Starting over...


Sunrise sleeve too big
Originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.
This is my first post to this knit-along. I swatched for this. Believe me I did. Then of course I only worried about the stitches per inch and didn't fuss too much about the row count per inch, apart from making the sleeves shorter. Didn't think about the raglan did I? This yarn just isn't going to work with the pattern without some seriously major fudging or pattern re-writing and what's the point of that? The pattern is written quite specifically and whilst there is room for a little bit of fudge (having got this far I've worked out where I could make adjustments that won't throw things too out of whack), too much fudge is not a good thing.
So I frogged it.
Sunrise frogged

First time I've ever frogged this far into a project. But also the first time that I've made such a crappy yarn substitution. So guess what I'm doing today? Yep - goin' yarn huntin'.

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Paisley, you are very brave to frog all that! But better to do so. I'm using the suggested yarn (because I'm a big chicken); when on gauge, it knits up quite densely, giving the sweater a lot of body. Not as dense as boiled wool, but more dense than a normal sweater. All that said to say that the "wrong" yarn will affect even more than size! Good luck on the yarn hunt!

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am on a yarn hunt - I used Rowan cotton tweed and the back was turning out 2 inches wider than I had swatched! Will look for yet another yarn - -- I really like the jacket tho.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger al said...

i feel ya.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh, too bad, that is gorgeous wool you were using. Good luck yarn-hunting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home