Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Thrice Bitten, Twice Shy, Babe

The Sunrise and I are going through a rough patch.

First, I decided my size was too big, so I had to frog 8" of the first sleeve.

Second, I tried the crochet cast on with yarn that was too fuzzy and bombed. Started over.

Third, and finally, I tried the crochet cast on again, but when I tried to hem it in, it was a dust cloud of fingers and loose stitches and escaping needles with no discernable result. So guess what? I frogged it again :(.

During the third episode of knit to hem to frog, my cat Iggy serruptitiously bit through my yarn three times. (Sordid tale here.)

I'm back to empty needles and a thrice-rewound skein of yarn. I'm going to cast on again this morning, but may be in need of some moral support!

6 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Egads! Don't worry, you'll get it. I didn't bother with a provisional cast-on--to me, it might just be unnecessarily fussy. If you do long tail, each stitch has a nice horizontal loop that can easily be knit into along with the working stitch. Requires only that you hold the piece folded up with your hand.

Good luck, however you decide to tackle it. Keep the cat away!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Karen said...

You can do it . . . you can do it!!! I agree that knitting in the hem is quite awkward at first, but it's so worth it. My top hem took me four trys before it looked good. I know this cast on and knit in will go smoothly for you. :)

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, do a provisional cast on with another cable needle. Worked perfectly for me.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

The first time I did my provisional cast on, I used the same yarn that I was knitting with, and I couldn't tell the difference between the live stitches and the crochet chain. That was tedious. Then, on the front, I put a lifeline through the turning row so that I could pick up stitches from the right purl bumps - uch, the line only showed on the knit side -- too thin -- and the picking up stitches process was like extracting a splinter.

Good luck - like all good things, it will come!

Wendy

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Your cat must be related my my cat, Mika. The other night I was knitting in bed, looked away for 3 seconds and turned back to see she had chewed through my yarn.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Veronica said...

Oh no! Hang in there - it can only get better, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home