Wednesday, March 22, 2006

the hem

Sarah at Advancing the Plot asked for some finished object shots of the hem. I'm going to try to oblige! Here's the inside of one of the fronts:
folded hem--sewn down

Click on the picture; it will take you to the flickr page, in which I made some Notes that will hopefully help you dissect the shot. I didn't knit this hem down as I went--I followed the pattern, and cast off when I came to the end, then sewed it down. I knew that with the curved edge, I would find it tricky to get the placement exact when wrestling with two needles! So what I did was determine that I wanted the cast-off edge to sit exactly 11 rows from the turn. I counted purl bumps and marked the 11th bump all along the edge using some blue scrap cotton yarn. This gave me a clear path to follow. (You could probably use this method if you wanted to knit it down, too.)

Then I just went for it! I threaded a needle, caught it through one side of a cast-off stitch, and picked the purl bump up. Then into the next cast-off stitch, etc., on down the line. It wasn't the speediest work, but it got really easy as I went.

Here's a shot of the knitted-in hem at the bottom of the back.
folded hem--knitted in

I've mentioned in a few comments the way I went about this: I did a normal old long-tail cast-on, and on the 10th row (10th, right? Whichever is the knit row after matching the distance before the hem) I folded the hem up, stuck the needle through the live stitch and also through one side of the cast-on. I basically did a k2tog with these two "stitches." Simple, clean.

Hope this is helpful!

4 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh, I hope mine looks this good when I'm done!

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Veronica said...

That looks incredibly neat! Thanks for the tips :)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Sherry W said...

Thank you for the details!

Any tips for the back neck?

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Sarah at Advancing the Plot said...

This is really helpful, thanks so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home