Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Backward steps taken, now to go forward

Well I did it. It. Was. Hard. I ripped out the 109 rows that I already knitted [with those twisted stitches], wound the yarn up loosely, took a deep breath [yeah I had an Irish Coffee also]. This picture is how far I had gotten before ripping.











Then I began AGAIN. Acutally this time my knitted hem came out beautiful.....so I guess all this "practice" is going to serve me well. I was able to knit about 40 rows last night and EVERY THING IS NICE AND STRAIGHT -- HOORAY FOR ME.

I took pictures of my previous knitting, not sure how well you will be able to see the difference in twisted and not twisted. You are looking at the needle edge of my knitting. Last 1 1/2" of knitting is not-twisted all the rest is twisted. The twisted stitches have much more texture.

Onward tonight, hopefully it won't take me too long to get back to where I was before [just about to start the front & raglan sleeve increases].

5 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pulling back is so hard - but you will be happier with the results. As far as the knitted hem - did you use the provisional cast on and then knit the two sets of live stitches together? Have had difficulty finding good instructions - I am a visual learner!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Familia HP said...

You are so brave to frog that much knitting! What is that gorgeous yarn?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger MadDog Knitting said...

To Anonymous: re the knitted hem; I used crocheted cast-on method mentioned in the "Knitting up the Hem" on the side bar. It was a little confussing to me at first until my LYS sugested that I do the crocheting using a waste yarn. I crochet on to an oversized needle [8] then started the pattern. When it was time to turn the hem I unzipped the crocheting onto a smaller needle [5] and the knit the two set together. I am REALLY happy how it came out.

To Nicole: Yarn is Peruvian Collection Sierra Aryan color Deep Forest. The photos show much more red highlights than the actual yarn. I am really enjoying the yarn and how the color is coming out. It is a very deep green with the red highlights.

Thank you all for the "pats on the back"; yes to frog that much was hard, but I am already happier with the results.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I know that it's not going to be any comfort AT ALL - but I was in the exact same place you were when I ripped mine back -- all the way back. My gauge was f-d up, the row gauge mostly, and I decided that while blocking might solve the problem, I wasn't going to chance it - like a rotten tooth, it had to come up.

I'm with ya, sister!

Wendy

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Karen said...

A big pat on the back to you for ripping it all out and doing it again. The price we pay for perfection. I'm glad your hem went much more smoothly though! Can't wait to see the new, perfectly knitted jacket back!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home