Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Wow

All y'all are finished/finishing up - I'm just getting started! It's inspiring to see all these sweaters though.

I am using a heavier yarn than many, I think - Beaverslide's fisherman's weight (4 st/in) n Dusty Clover. It is a very pretty yarn - but this is probably a little tight/stiff for the yarn. Anyone else knit with a heavier yarn?

I did get gauge , so proceeded up the left sleeve, knitting the sleeve hem in as I went (thanks for the tips!), and am thinking of shortening the sleeve by about 2" - I am short. It is slightly scary that this decision has to be made so early, but I take comfort in the fact that I can always cut an kitchener a panel in if I need to - ack. Anyone else shorten the sleeves while knitting?

Thanks for letting a latecomer join in...

4 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Kate said...

A heavy yarn is good! You want the jacket to have some body. Drape is not the goal here.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Ansley Bleu said...

I am still working on the sleeves. I am concerned about length too. I am going to go visit my local knitting guru for advice. Good Luck!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sarah at Advancing the Plot said...

Yarn on sale, doesn't get any better than that.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: shortening the sleeves, here's what I did, essentially. I measured my arm inseam, as well as a commercially-made sweater that fits me well, and figured out how many fewer inches I needed then the pattern size. Based on my gauge, I figured the correct number of rows necessary to reduce it to my arm desired length, and divided that between the last two (or three?) increase rows. I can't remember exactly and don't have my pattern notes handy - but I think I just knit 11 rows between the top 2 or 3 increase rows, instead of 15 which I think the pattern calls for. My sleeves fit perfectly this way. Good luck to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home