Monday, April 24, 2006

i'm back!

I was the second person to finish the jacket, but I'm back to square 1: I gave it to my mom this weekend, as her early Mother's Day gift, and it's too small! I overestimated how much smaller than me my mom is. I'm going to take it all out this week and start over. Here's how it fit her yesterday:

mom in sunrise circle
I am going to make it one size up (shown is the 33.5" size) and will not place the buttons until she's got it on--what was I thinking, putting them so far over?? As it is, we could probably fix it by placing just two buttons on the left front, but the arms were a bit snugger than she'd prefer.

Hopefully I'll finish it soon! She showed me her copy of Interweave--she'd folded down the corner on the Sunrise Circle Jacket Pattern, which means I made a good decision in making this for her!

8 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

MINTY! I cannot believe that you have the patience to pull all that out and start over. I'd be so downhearted that I would take it outside and run over it with my car! Good luck.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Paisley said...

Oh... how frustrating. Perhaps you could convince your mum to go on crash diet instead? :-) I commend your patience!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Sadie--you made me laugh out loud at the idea of driving over the sweater with a car! Lucky for the jacket, I don't own a car (though I could put it in front of a bus, I suppose!). It's dismaying, but the promise of a happy recipient is going to help me get through it. Problem is, I was very very careful and thorough with sewing in the ends. Sigh!!!

Paisley--it's funny to suggest my mom go on a diet; I should have said something :) She's so tiny as it is, I thought I was doing a good thing by keeping the sweater fitted.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger becks said...

oh no! that's so sad! it's so lovely too... good news is that i knitted the 35" one and it's still a quick knit. it will be worth it in the end :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger cellowingnut said...

Bummer! Do you have any other relatives/friends who it might fit and you could gift it to them? I would hate having to rip out, I'd rather start over on another one! You are more patient than me!

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's wool, right? Can't you try to block it wider?

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what?! I like it just the way it is!! I think that you could just remove all the buttons and the top and bottom loops - reattach one button in the middle on the edge - DONE. I also think she would like it too. It would be a more conservative sweater.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - I didn't notice there were 4 buttons. Remove all the buttons and just put one back in the middle toward the edge. It seems to otherwise fit her fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home