Friday, August 18, 2006

Curse you, closures!!

So, my jacket has been knitted, seamed, blocked and all for a good three weeks now. And yet, it is not technically a FO? Why, you ask? Well, let's just say that safety pins really aren't a suitable closure. I did find some buttons that I loved, but they were $6/ea and I didn't love them that much. So I got some black toggle type things instead but...I don't know. They're really...rectangular. And I don't know if I like that! So the hunt continues. And when you live in a town of 5000 people, there aren't really too many places to hunt. I don't suppose wal mart would have anything, would they?

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I found some cute brown toggle closures at Walmart. They have other big, cute buttones I thought could work for the jacket. Another great place to check is a thrift shop... you never know what you may find there.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger larissa said...

Well, it sounds like you 'finished' your jacket at the same time as me- and yes, I'm stil looking for the right buttons too! It's driving me crazy, there are some gorgeous cardis around with lovely toggles, but they don't seem to have made it to the craft store shelves yet.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Bettina said...

Hi, you might want to check online, there are quite a few retailers for buttons there, some even for antiques.

The thrift shop idea is good as well. If they don't have the buttons themselves, look at the clothes. If it's a jacket for 10 dollars, with the right buttons, you can always buy it, cut them off and use them. You might even end up with a spare button this way, just in case!

Alternatively, do you have a friend or know of someone who whittles or carves? They might be able to make you some nice wooden buttons. You can always stain the wood to match the jacket afterwards. Or maybe someone who does metalwork can cast you something?

The possibilities are endless!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home