Saturday, July 15, 2006

help with raglan seams

Well, technically I finished my jacket this morning (woo hoo!) but I'm not happy with the raglan sleeve seams at the back (the ones at the front are another story!). This is my first attempt at raglan sleeves, so I don't really know what I'm doing. How have people done their seams?

On one side I've left one visible row of decreases, making a very obvious seam (see pic).

This seems to look ok when flat (if you ignore the pre-blocking lumpy bits), but looks a bit messy when stretched (ie when being worn). I ripped out the other seam, and re-did it with all decrease rows hidden, but I don't think that looks any better. I'm wondering if the seams supposed to be done with both edge rows visible? I really can't tell from the photo how it's been done there. I'm desperate to get this damn jacket finished, so all suggestions will be very very much appreciated! It seems like I've been working on this forever, so I'm keen to get it all done and dusted.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Katy said...

Not sure I can see well enough to tell what's going on, but the seam does look "raised", which it shouldn't. What seaming technique are you using? I found Nancy Wiseman's book "The Knitter's Book Of Finishing Techniques" to be really valuable to me this year, as it helped my seams improve tremendously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home