Saturday, April 01, 2006

Falling at the first hurdle

Help! I finally bought my yarn yesterday (Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran in Merlot), swatched up and tried to start knitting today. I think I must be a bit daft, but the instructions for the fold line don't seem to make sense. I thought I was following the instructions, but I just seem to end up with straight stocking stitch, rather than a noticeable fold line. After the cast-on, I'm assuming that I start with a purl row? Then continuing with even numbers of stocking stitch .... I then do the purl row for the fold line, but then it says to do 10 rows ending on WS, which surely means you have to start on a RS?? But then there's no obvious fold line. I just don't know why it's not quite working for me. Eek! Is anyone able to translate in veeeerrrrry simple terms? Thanks for your help!

6 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger al said...

well, the fold line is like the 11th row, right? so you do 10 rows in st. stitch, then knit a row you would otherwise purl. the next row, then, is a RS row, which you also go ahead and knit, then continue in st. stitch. so for one WS row, you've knitted instead of purled, and that's your fold line. does that make sense?

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger al said...

and then, to do the hem, you fold it at the fold line and sew the cast on edge to where it hits the WS of your knitting.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger larissa said...

Ah, the penny drops at last! It says 'Knit a WS row', and of course that means 'do knit stitch', not just 'keep knitting on the WS row'! What a goose. I knew how it was supposed to work, but couldn't figure out why the instructions didn't seem to get me there. Thanks!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger hootsister said...

How embarassing, I just kept knitting, I didn't understand the Knit a WS row. I still love the way it is coming out, I'll do it right for my next sunrise. :)

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger theShizzKnit said...

Crikey. I've just started the sleeves and so glad to have read this post. Doh. KNIT a WS row means knit the dang row not purl.
Like the nose on my face.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger larissa said...

Hahahaha, I can't believe I wasn't the only one! Thanks for fessing up guys :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home