Sunday, February 19, 2006

The more I think about this jacket, the more I love it. Soft curves, nice shaping. For yarn, I've chosen Queensland Collection Kathmandu Aran, a blend of merino, silk, and cashmere. It's lightweight, warm, but with the dry hand you'd expect from raw silk. (I understand this yarn is the same as Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed.) My yarn is a deep, cool red- color 127, Poesie. I got exact gauge on size 7s.

I love serendipity. I was contemplating this pattern, trying to decide whether to make it, and trying to choose a yarn. I have a nice LYS very close by, but it's not a huge store. Lots of basics. I really didn't want to buy over the internet for this, I wanted to choose my yarn by feel. I think that yarn for this sweater has to have just the right amount of body and crispness- too drapy, and the front will look messy. Too soft, and it will go from being nicely shaped to overly curvy.

So I was sitting on the floor in my knitting room (my walk in closet in my bedroom!) and my eye fell on a few balls of yarn in my stash. I had a gift certificate from my MIL at Christmas, and I splurged on this very pretty Kathmandu Aran. I bought six balls in red, and two in a mustard color. My plan was to design a cardigan front vest of some kind, with contrast trim. So I pulled the yarn down and began to play- and it gauged perfectly. Of course, I didn't have enough. Kathmandu Aran has 104 yards per ball. Sunrise circle in size 37 calls for 1080 yards of yarn. Usually you might expect have a half ball left over on a project. But the size 35 calls for 9 balls, and the 41 calls for 12, which leads me to believe that the 37 will use every scrap of its 10 balls. I didn't think there were very many more balls left over at my LYS- I think they just had one bag of each color. And if someone bought some more of the red, I would be out of luck. So I planned to use the mustard for my facings. I went to the LYS the next day, and luckily all four remaining balls of the red were there waiting for me.

Yesteday morning, I read through the entire pattern and highlighted the directions for the size I'll make. I discovered Kate Gilbert wrote out each size's directions separately in some sections, so when you only look at the directions you need to follow, the whole thing seems a lot more manageable. And I am so terribly bad at keeping track of repeats that I think I'll love having it all written out. I can just pencil through each row as I complete it.

So, there I am. Yarn, ready. Needles, ready. Markers, ready. I have to finish my Olympic sweater, which is the Weekend Pullover from Knitting Pure and Simple in Plymouth Hand Paint Wool. Now, I know that's an insanely simple project, but the idea behind the Olympics was to choose something that's a challenge. And my biggest challenge is FINISHING THINGS. I'm still working on Christmas presents, folks. From 2005. So I chose something that, given my short attention span and busy kids, I could actually finish. But I'm itching to cast on... I almost succumbed this morning, but grabbed a pair of nearly-finished gloves to work on for five minutes instead. But I couldn't figure out where I was in the repeats, so there you are. That's me.

I'll take pictures of my materials soon and post them.

Let's hear your stories!

3 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jackie C. said...

Hey Jen, congrats on having your first pattern published (I read it on your site). I think that purse is adorable!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Koko said...

Hi Jen,
Your blog is charming. I visited your picture's gallery now. That was wonderful! And Clapotis, yours is so nice. The colors you chose harmonized each other very much. Interesting! I really look forward to you coming to this site with your "deep-cool red" yarn jacket.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger yahaira said...

Hi, Im cleaning up my account and was wondering if I could be removed from this blog.

thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home